Sunday, June 1, 2008

Inaungrel Event of SUndown Marathon 2008

It was 2030 hrs. There I was waiting for my friends at OCBC NP to run our first maiden marathon. Nothing beats that than running at night. Imagine while 90% of the Singaporeans are neatly and confortably tuck in bed and having sweet dreams, there were abt 6000 odd Runners at Changi Village preparing to run a marathon. To me, this aint the first event that I am participating as I took part in Standard Chartered Marathon 2007 doing 10 km...

Hence no jitters for me till the clock strike 1155pm. 4 more mins to 1159pm and the race will start. I panicked and i have butterflies in the stomach. My mind was in a whirlwind.. Am i really going thru this? Will I be able to complete the run? There was no other options for me as the whole pack began to move forward and then there goes the horn.

The race has started....

Mind you, I am not totally physically prep for this event. I am like a fish out of the water trying to finish the event.

Frankly speaking, completing the first 21km of the run was a breeze. I was shocked myself that i find it a breeze. Think i was pacing myself greatly. Pacing was very important for me. But horror strike me at the 22km mark. It was the beginning of the crossing of overhead bridges and up slopes and down slopes.

Struggling in the next 10 km reaching the 30 km mark was a small challenge as i psyche myself that this is the beginning of my last year in uni and things are gonna be looking tough... So endure and preserve. During this part, it rain. Trying not to lose time, i went against the organizer advice to remain in shelter and continue my run. I was glad that fellow runners who are in this themselves are encouraging other fellow runners to jia you oso and dun give up. What touches me most was a pretty girl from behind gave me a pat from the back and encouraging me. that was a morale booster for me. Too bad, i did not hav the chance to ask for her number. Sigh

Mental endurance came in for me after the 36 km mark. The last 6 km was a mental torture... my leg began to ache badly.... Cause i was gung ho, never at any point of time during the run, i stopped for a break, I kept moving non stop and I did not even apply muscle rub to ease the pain... Think i was too focus that i ignore pain in my legs.... What a sicko I was!

The last 6 km mark came. I felt my legs were like about to detach themselves. the officials were telling us 6 km more to go.... U did a great job.


I preserve.... cleared 2 km and 4 km more.... i really felt like giving up at this juncture.... But i told myself fuck it..... 4 km more.... pain is temporary...... Just complete the run okie

I was glad at my last 2 km.. My friend came looking for me...Though limping and tired frm his run, he decided to walk the last 2km with me. I was happy that I had support physically in the last 2km.... Cause though it is ending, the mental barrier and my endurance level began to fell drastically.

You dun noe happy elated I was when i found out that i am 400 metres away from the finishing line. 100 metres away from the finishing line, all was too tired to sprint thus majority walk. Then came along a girl encouraging me to dash for it as I am ending it man. I ran my last boost overtaking all in front of me and one by one decides to sprint for it. The sprint was worth it man.

Cause I completed the run. Victory is mine
























After effects of Sundown,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

No comments: